Pages

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

밀회

2 years ago, I rediscovered 송중기 through 착한남자. This year, I've got 유아인 in 밀회.

A lot of people won't watch 밀회 because of its topic. A lot of people couldn't watch it because of how "artsy" it is.

Well, I don't fully understand every scene and every action either. And I won't be able to tell you exactly what makes 밀회 such a riveting watch. Though excruciating and exhausting sometimes.

But boy is it a beautiful experience.

Yes, it's about extramarital affair between an older woman younger man.
Yes, it's about love and overcoming obstacles and societal judgement.
Yes, it's about power play and politics and all things dirty under the table.

Or is it?

It's so much more. It's not that simple.
Right from the beginning.

It's not your unimaginative protagonists and antagonists. It's not your usual staple of leading lady or leading man. It's not your usual lame excuse of conflicts that drives a drama forward. It's not your usual slack pacing that goes on and on because there's nothing else to show. It's not your usual cheesy pop songs that adds nothing to the mood.

And it's not telling the story of a Secret Love Affair with the lame stuff that almost immediately come to mind in most layman.

Every little thing that goes into the drama means something. I don't know what. But it tells the whole story. Whether the viewers catch the subtlety and nuances or not.

So intelligent. So well thought out. So sincere. But oh so humble.

Quite arrogant too I would say. But the fangirl in me will clock that in as being confident. Hehe.

I'm just a tiny bit regretful that I know so little about classical music. And the stories behind the pieces. I would've enjoyed and understood it so much better.

I'm so gonna watch it again in future. Many many times. And listen to all the pieces featured.

Yoo Ah In is stellar as Lee Sun Jae. So vulnerable, yet so controlled. I couldn't have asked for another actor to play Lee Sun Jae. Just perfect. Magnificent.

Kim Hee Ae is amazing. Elegant, controlled, nuanced, connected. I just regret that I haven't watched her before this. I'm so grateful to you that you brought Yoo Ah In onboard.

Actually every actor in this drama is doing a heck of a good job. Rocking their characters. It's just that the lead actor and actress is more mind-blowing. Oh, Park Hyuk Kwon is great as the cuckolded-spineless-easily-swayed-egoistic husband too.

Damn, the whole production crew is rocking this masterpiece. But I think the director's contribution to its critical acclaim plays a huge role too. Just so damn good.

Have I mentioned how magnificent Yoo Ah In is? Or how elegant Kim Hee Ae is?

I'm so glad its finale is tomorrow. Though I'll still have to wait until Wednesday for subtitles. But damn if last week's episodes didn't gut me and grip my heart.

I won't speculate what'll happen next. Or hope for anything. Coz I actually don't have the energy to do so.

I just want to savour this until the end.

Hah, you masochistic arrogant smartass.

No comments: