Touched down smoothly in Heathrow.
And there was this cute little Indian boy, 3 yrs old, who was so excited about seeing aeroplanes. Kept exclaiming 'aeroplane!' when he saw one. And I played along coz he was just too cute. Apparently they just came back from Sri Lanka for a vacation.
Actually throughout the flight, I was a bit worried on and off coz of the previous flight accidents. My pessimism and overactive imagination kicking in coz there wasn't much to do on the plane except watch TV or movies or listen to music and read.
But I was too emotional to actually fully enjoy. Was crying and crying coz it was just so hard not to. Well, I still do. When I think about my family, their love, the normalcy back home. And the love and support from my friends. I love you all. I really do.
Anyways, it was a smooth journey. Met some really nice people at the security check, ticket counter, tube station and bus. Friendly and helpful. But it wasn't as smooth as without a glitch.
Getting to Paddington wasn't difficult. But from there.. I took so many detours.
First I got outside coz the buses are outside. Then I tried to find a way to get myself a ticket to my uncle's place. That itself I crossed the same junction 3 times. With all my luggage. I'm so glad I packed minimally.
Then, turns out I've got to get an Oyster card no matter what. So I got it. And then I tried to get to the bus stop that will bring me to a bed.
Easy? No. There are so many bus stops at different locations for different buses, I wasn't sure which even though I had a map coz I was so tired and my mind just didn't want to work anymore.
And so it took me another 20 minutes walking around Paddington station just to get to the right bus station. But I had to miss the bus just as I found it. And the was no way to tell if there were any more coming coz there wasn't anyone at the bus stop with me. By that time I was really exhausted and I was beginning to have headache. I was beside myself with worry. What if that was the last bus of the day? Do I have to walk to the flat?
And then long 10 minutes later a young couple came. And a few other people and I didn't feel so bad anymore.
Finally when the bus came I was super relieved. But it was tough trying to hold my bag while standing on the bus. And the best part was I didn't know which stop I had to get down. So I went on a hunch and my unreliable auditory memory.
So I got down and immediately second guessed myself. Did I get down at the correct stop? Where am I? Which way should I go? Is there anyone I could ask?
I think I referred to a map on the bus stop and walked down the street to try. And then I hesitated again.
The day was growing dark and I had no internet and no way to call someone for help. Coz I'm an idiot, as I didn't ask Nita how much was on my sim card, and a cheapskate that way. Anyways, Alwin would've been sleeping at that time.
So I followed my hunch, walked down a seemingly long road, and hesitated right in front of a posh building, thinking if I should go in to ask for directions. Well thankfully I did. Coz turns out I was on the right track and it's just down the next junction. And the guy was okay looking with a nice voice too. Hehe
So I finally reached the flat. But I couldn't get in. Coz I'm an idiot and forgot which key it was. And I had no way of going in coz the porter wasn't there. I waited for another 5 minutes and thankfully someone was coming out and he let me in.
When I got to the flat, I was so relieved. But it wasn't for long. I struggled with the keys and locks. I knew which keys for which locks, but I just couldn't open the door. I prayed to God twice. But it still didn't open. And then I thought I would've had to sleep out on the corridor. Then I realised I had to let someone at home know that I arrived safely. So I texted mt, crying out to her that I am stuck outside the flat.
I was dead tired. And having a headache. And super thirsty. With no one to help me. Well, I didn't call anyone for help.
Then I decided to try again. And it opened!!! I was totally "hallelujah" inside. But I just wanted to drink some water and sleep off the headache and exhaustion.
But things don't get working just because you're there. I had to turn on the electricity. I had to find the cups. I had to figure out which switch is which. I had to pick up the mails. I had to turn out the bed sheet cover.
I didn't even bother showering or brushing teeth or changing. Though I did find some biscuits to satisfy my hunger.
And then I went to sleep. No turning on heater, no electric blanket (coz I forgot there's one in the room).
And I slept.
Until 10 sth am KL time.. Which was definitely not enough coz I slept at around 4 am.
Coz dad called. He was worried that I got lost or got abducted somewhere. Ok.. He didn't say that but he was worried. I mumbled to him about the essential details of my arrival and emphasised that I called and texted mt. Coz I already mentioned that before I left. But I guess on hindsight I should've called him too even though he'd be sleeping.
Who would've thought dad would be the worrier among the two. Lol.
I almost silenced the phone and went back to sleep. Coz I knew no one who would call me from UK since they don't have my number yet. It was just no good for my body and my headache.
Well anyways I slept some more until I couldn't sleep anymore.
And when I woke up it was raining. And I tried to get the water heater working but I couldn't coz I'm so smart I didn't turn on the gas valve. So I boiled hot water and bathed the kampung way. So cold. So cold. Didn't even wash my hair coz it's just too cold to do that without hot water.
About an hour later, I went out to find the library so that I could use the Internet to call home. But NO. It was their bank (public) holiday.
So I was helpless. I had no one to help me. I was groggy. I was disappointed by the rain and the bank holiday. I was disappointed in myself. I felt stranded. I was missing home.
I went home and I broke down. Well I already did when I woke up but all the rain and chill and no means of communication just made it worse.
Then I called home just to talk to my dad and tell him that I reached ok and about the things that were happening.
I still tear up thinking about that.
Coz I miss them a lot. And it's not like I could see them easily, even with Skype. Time zones are such a pain.
Well I guess that concludes my very long story of how I got to London. Life's full of challenges even when it's rosy, aye?
I'm not sure what other challenges are coming my way - and I've already got more than a handful, but bring it on!
I'm sure they're all to help me understand myself and reflect and become better than who I am now.
It's only just the beginning after all.
No comments:
Post a Comment