It was my first time buying sth in Harrods. And my first time buying "superbrand" stuff.
It will be my last. I think.
I got a part time job babysitting. Pay is not ideal. But I figured it covers my daily expenses. So it's ok.
Then I thought I'd like to earn a bit more. And got in touch with a guy to buy luxury goods, in Harrods. Every item bought he'll give commission £5.50.
Well I thought it's not a bad thing to do. Right?
So, he only buys LV products. Very specific ones. The classic items. Well, people who buy these stuff only wants it for the purpose of 显富, even if it looks ugly as hell. His customers are Koreans and Japanese, or so he says. I had a feeling he's buying for Chinese, don't you think?
So this job, I have to make up lies pretty much. I have to pretend I'm not working for a "syndicate"; I have to check item code every time without being obvious; I have to pretend I haven't visited the 3 counters in Harrods before. I have to make up nicknames (note: false) for every purchase, coz that's their policy in trying to limit purchases and maintain accessibility to wider range of customers, which obviously is not very effective.
I actually wanted to quit before I made my first purchase. Coz I have gone twice but couldn't buy anything. Coz they're out of stock apparently. Not sure how true that is. If they're withholding their goods then kudos.
I finished the job at around 2.30 pm. I was there since 10.30.
And it didn't feel right. I felt exploited. And fundamentally, why would I help this guy who's there every day to manipulate the 漏洞 to buy expensive LV wallets? Which costs a month of my salary?
I think I'm still the type to earn money doing sth legitimately. Even if it's low pay.
And I'm concerned that the gift cards he gave us to make the purchases? That they're counterfeit gift cards. Well even if it is real, I wouldn't do it again.
It's just not right.
One thing I really like about being here in London and also in Oslo, is the conscientiousness they live by. At least from my experiences, they live by the law of trustworthiness. They believe in people to be honest and fair, though not everyone is like that I'm sure, and do what is right. If you take one plastic bag, you pay for it. If you found an ID card, you return it.
And this "luxury buyer" gig... Not for me.
No comments:
Post a Comment