It's been a looooong time since I've watched any TW dramas. The last I watched was Autumn Concerto, which was very very long ago. Vanness has even gotten married. Oh btw, felicitations and may you have a lasting, blissful marriage.
Anyway, as I was saying, I picked up a drama yesterday. Yep, TW drama. No one I know acts in it. But I got to know about it from Koala's Playground, a drama blogger I'm following. And I'm glad I did.
It's quite refreshing. Yeah it is an idol drama about life in college, friendships, romance, the handsome-upper class-smart-athletic popular guy in college, the country girl in a city, yada yada yada... But it's being told in a more slice of life way without the cheesy tricks. Ok, there was one, and quite a handful cliched tropes. But, the storytelling was quite organic that it doesn't feel forced down audiences throat, which is what makes it refreshing to watch.
The acting is average, but a notch better than the usual idol drama. The directing is quite accomplished, though I do wish the pictures can be prettier. I like how the director lingers when necessary, especially on the nuances Lego Li (the male protagonist, who calls themselves Lego anyway? Pfft) is portraying. I also like how the writer is utilising the setting, that era's songs and pop culture to draw out the story. And the OTP's chemistry.
Oooh...their chemistry is interesting. On and off the screen. They make me smile and giggle so much. I love how they're slowly aware of their attraction to each other, but not being coy about it. Just naturally falling in love while getting to know each other better, spending more time together. Though I can't deny how delicious it is to see Liu Chuan being the one who falls for her first. It is so good to watch how their friends are also picking up on their attraction for each other. Especially his friends using it to rib him. Muahahahaha.
Thanks to Lego and his nuanced portrayal of Liu Chuan, that we're able to see this innocent, cringeworthy romance unfold. He's also quite cute. Hee :p
I also like how this drama give enough time and space for other characters to shine and at the same time tie in with the story, which a lot of dramas these says fail to do. And I appreciate how it infuses humour into the drama in that quiet way that I've come to appreciate.
And this is just 4 episodes in. I hope with all these years of my staying away from TW dramas that this drama will continue to be this engaging and organic throughout. With live shooting on their neck. Dear god, live shooting. And treat rising and solid ratings as bonus. No shoving us with so called 'ratings guarantee/pusher' type of tropes please. Just keep on doing what you're doing and improve on it. Coz I'll keep watching.
But lord help me, there's at least 14 episodes to go. 1 episode per week. Let it be 14 more only. Please I beg you, drama gods. Unless the story really really needs it.
No comments:
Post a Comment