Pages

Saturday, June 25, 2016

EU Referendum

I guess a corner of my mind knew before it did that it would come to this. I just didn't want to acknowledge it. I didn't think it was possible. No. Correct that. I didn't want it to be possible.

Not that it would affect me whatever the outcome.

But I still feel very disappointed, shocked, and very very sad.

Whether it was decided out of fear, (deep-seated) anger, misinformation, anti-establishment, 'independence', nationalism, imperialism, xenophobia, and all that is written in the media... There's no turning back now.

Voters voted for a better future for themselves. Whatever that means for them.

I feel for this nation who has succumbed to fear and hatred of 'other'. Yes, I would not be wrong to think that given the way Brexit was campaigned.

I feel for the nation who still clings to the sense of outdated nationalism and English pride. The sense of arrogance and entitlement that is extended from that is dangerous.

It is not only about voting out of a flawed, 'undemocratic', elitist establishment. It is also a vote against humanity, diversity, and integration.

How much anger and hatred they must have had against foreigners.

So sad.
So disappointed.

I have tried to see the other side of the argument. While I do agree on building a better EU, a more democratic and transparent establishment, I cannot agree with the way it has gone down.

As they said, UK's divorce from EU was a result of UK's internal party squabble. Brits have not seemed more foolish than this.

Now the only thing remains (pun not intended) is how UK manages this fallout. And things can only get more difficult from now on. And I am counting on all 27 EU states to make it painful and unbearable for UK, or England and Wales for that matter.

Bloody arrogant Brits.

No comments: