Recently an article surfaced on FB written by a Malaysian mom of Chinese ethnicity talking about her decision migrating to down under.
I respect her decision. I respect her right to give her best to her children. Coz my parents are like that too. Which is why I'm here, overseas for my graduate studies.
Yes, the schools seem to get worse. We seem to be less competitive than before. Things that happened in schools recently - the social and religious issues - are appalling. Talents are leaving the country. Government ministers are sending their children overseas for their education.
But I couldn't agree with her that these are the reasons one should leave the country for another "greener pasture".
That's just fleeing. Nothing wrong with that too. It's just that it's not my thing.
All the more, these are the things we should stand up against if we want to build a better society. Not just in Malaysia.
Not that I could change the world or a whole nation. But I believe that change can happen when we realise it and consciously work against it. That's how society progresses.
There are a lot of things I don't understand still. There are a lot of misunderstandings that I couldn't begin to explain how they all started.
But I'm determined not to become a victim of the historical, cultural and social influences that shaped my thinking.
To the author of that article,
Give yourself and your children a chance to know, understand and love this beautiful country despite its glaring flaws and inconsistencies and contradictions and blatant oppressions.
And let them decide for themselves if it is a country worth living in and worth loving.
And have confidence in yourself that you'll be able to guide them well in the process. And have confidence in their own ability to discern for themselves what is right or wrong.
No comments:
Post a Comment