Pages

Monday, March 10, 2014

I want to go Taman Mayang

So the new batch of students came this week. The first day was just chaotic. Screaming, crying, high anxiety levels, in the youngest class. Not gonna delve into the boy with multiple issues. Leaving it for another day when I have more information and objective observation.

But there was also joy and amazement.

Coming mainly from this one boy.
Talkative. Funny. Silly. Mischievous. Smart.
Makes you wonder if he really does have Down Syndrome. Btw he does.

Has really good support system. And a hope to all of us. Maybe even an excellent example of successful individuals with Down Syndrome in Malaysia.

Haven't discovered his negative points yet. Quirks, yes. Negatives, nah not yet.

So on Friday, when he's leaving the centre, his mom told us how he liked coming to our centre that the first thing he said in the morning the next day was "I want to go Taman Mayang today. I like to go to Taman Mayang."

I almost cried. Tears welled up y'know.

We do get comments from parents that our students get more excited when it's the day they come to our centre.

But we've never had it expressed so explicitly before. And the feeling of contentment, success, happiness, gratitude, just hit me right smack in the face. The feeling that we're doing something right, y'know.

So overwhelmed.

And the amazing thing is he started singing Barney's I Love You song, after he heard his mom retell his story and saying once again what he said.

When he was singing "with a great big hug and a kiss from me to you", he came over to me and did just that.

My heart just melted.

Affirmation. Acknowledgment.
The biggest motivation, drive, and encouragement for me to keep doing what I'm doing.
To keep the passion and fire burning inside me.
To nourish my weary heart and soul when I'm about to throw up my hands and give up.

Boy, you just squeezed yourself into my heart and planted a solid seed there, growing a sturdy tree for yourself and me. And even if you cut that tree down, the stump will always be there for you if you wanna have a comfy seat.

Words alone cannot describe my feelings.

I just hope and pray that you'll continue to grow and learn healthily and happily. And be yourself through all that.

And I hope and pray that whoever that comes into your life would teach you in a way that still let you be yourself and nurture you and inspire you. Coz you inspired me.

I hope and pray that I'll be able to do that and do you justice.

No comments: