The princess called out N's name. I turned my head and I saw him standing near the open gate, just about to walk out.
I refrained from calling out. He was looking at me with that smile. I struggled to wear my slippers. I took two steps, and he dashed off to the middle of the road. I shouted his name. I ran at the fastest speed I could manage. And he stopped there, turned his head around, with a cheeky smile on his face. And a look of victory and glee.
How scared I was. How thankful I was to God that he was safe. How angry I was, at him and at myself.
I should've forsaken the slippers. I should've stayed put at the porch. I should have. I should have...
The mom saw. She just turned into the road. She came and she shouted at the boy and hit his hand. I told her to just go and bring N. He's learned his lesson. I hope.
We're going to take necessary measures to make sure it doesn't happen again. And I'm going to make good on my promise to ground him if he ever does it again.
Second time this happened to me, only a different child. The first time I trusted Thi too much and I didn't know he had the agility and speed like that day. This time there were other kids, more distractions. But it's still negligence on my part.
I don't want a third time. I want to have learnt my lesson.
And g****** it, forget your slippers and just run!! Idiot!
No comments:
Post a Comment